A coffee maker is an office staple (just like a chair, a desk, a lamp!), and it is a house staple (unless you hate coffee): so if you work remotely, you want to buy a coffee maker that can help you get through the day, and that can be either placed in your office or left in the kitchen. In this guide, we’ve tested different types of coffee makers that are perfect for working remotely, and that can also be used at home regularly.
How to choose a coffee maker?
Before you buy a coffee maker for your home office, you need to decide what type you want. In fact, the type of coffee maker you buy can make a big difference in your experience.
Drip Coffee Maker
This coffee maker is possibly the most common type of coffee maker you will find in homes and offices. They’re functional and easy to use: load up your coffee filter with your ground coffee, put it in the allotted spot, add water, and start the coffee maker. You can decide how strong your coffee has to be and also leave it in the pot to drink it later, very often still hot because of one of the main functions of these machines: the heated plate, that makes sure the coffee remains hot for a few hours. This type of coffee maker is affordable to buy and use, offer flexibility in terms of models, shapes, sizes, and brands. It’s perfect if you want basic black coffee, and you want to have a lot at once.
Pod Coffee Maker
A pod coffee maker uses single-serving pods to make you the coffee of your choice. Nowadays, you can choose a lot of different flavors based on your taste so you can eventually go from a strong espresso-type of coffee to a caramel coffee, or even a latte if you can find the right pods. This is one of the most accessible choices for people working remotely and freelancers: you don’t waste any time when you want a coffee, you don’t have to clean, and the coffee tastes pretty good. Buying individual pods can get expensive over time. Also, you must pay attention to what you’re buying so to avoid ending up ingesting calories and ingredients that are not healthy.
If you like your coffee strong and short, buying an espresso coffee maker can make you happy. There are espresso coffee machines of every type, from the most expensive and fancy ones to the cheapest: the more the machine costs, the better it works and the more functions it will have. Every espresso machine out there will allow you to make a variety of drinks, such as cappuccinos, macchiatos, and lattes. An espresso maker is quite easy to use, and it’s quick; on the other side, it can be pretty expensive, but if you’re after a delicious coffee for your home office, this is a choice you may want to consider.
Instant Coffee Maker
This is not a real category of coffee makers, but it’s one of the easier for people working from home: all you need is a kettle, some instant coffee, and you’re all set. In this case, you need to pay attention to buying an excellent instant coffee and also a kettle that will display the water temperature. You don’t want your coffee to be burned or too hot, and instead, you want to be able to check on the temperature of the water to be sure it will enhance the taste of the coffee.
The best coffee makers for your home office
Now that you know the basics, you are ready to take things to the next level and to match the coffee maker to your habits and your preferences. Here are the best coffee makers for your home office in 2020.
1. Cuisinart DCC-3200P1
This coffee maker from Cuisinart is a classical and state-of-the-art machine that will allow you to brew up to 14 cups of coffee at once. It’s utterly programmable over the 24 hours, and it will shut off automatically if not in use. The carafe includes a stainless steel accent on the handle, and the machine consists of a reusable filter to make brewing easy.
2. Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker
Aside from being cool to look at, the Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker can brew a single-serve cup or a full pot of coffee with the 12-cup carafe. You can also select the brew strength you want for brewing regular or bold preferred flavor/strength. The control panel and display will allow you to program the brewing time up to 24 hours beforehand.
3. Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker
With this Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker, you will be able to brew your single-serving coffee using the pods of your choice. It allows you to brew 6+ cups before having to refill, and it’s straightforward and quick to use: insert a pod, select your cup brew size, and brew a cup in under a minute. The auto-off feature turns off your coffee maker after it has been idle for two hours.
4. Delonghi Super-Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine
This Delonghi super-automatic espresso coffee machine will allow you to get a tasty barista-quality Espresso, Long Coffee, Double Espresso, Cappuccino in about 3 minutes. This fully automated machine has an integrated silent coffee grinder with 13 adjustable grinding settings. It can be used with either coffee beans or ground coffee.
5. Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker
With this Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker, you can brew not only a cup of basic black coffee but also lattes and cappuccinos. Just insert any k-cup pod and use the button controls to brew coffee, or make hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos. You can brew up to 6 cups with a tank of water. The auto-off feature turns off your coffee maker after it has been idle for two hours.
6. Mr. Coffee Simple Brew Coffee Maker
The Mr. Coffee Simple Brew Coffee Maker helps you make rich-tasting, expertly brewed coffee without stress or mess. This is one of the most straightforward machines to brew drip coffee, and it can make up to 4 cups at once. It includes a removable filter basket and a stain-resistant warming plate.
7. Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp Cordless Electric Kettle
This kettle from Cuisinart is perfect for getting the water for your instant coffee at the ideal temperature. The six preset heat settings will help you steeping water at just the right temperature; a removable/washable scale filter will prevent the formation of scale and mineral buildup.
8. Nespresso by De’Longhi ENV135GYAE
The Nespresso system is perfect for getting a good cup of espresso without too much hassle. The Nespresso by De’Longhi ENV135GYAE comes in a bundle with the Aeroccino Milk Frother to allow you to make your cappuccino or latte at home. You can brew different single serve coffee cup sizes at the touch of a button depending on your coffee needs: Espresso (1.35 ounce), Double Espresso (2.7 ounces), Gran Lungo (5 ounces), Coffee (7.7 ounces), and Alto (14 ounces).
The Best Pods for your Pod Coffee Maker
If you have decided to go for a Pod Coffee Maker, these are some of the best pods to buy. The following pods go well with every pod coffee maker, Keurig first.
- The Original Donut Shop Keurig Single-Serve K-Cup Pods: a medium roast extra bold coffee, not too harsh, not too bitter. Available at Amazon.
- AmazonFresh 80 Ct. K-Cups, Colombia Medium Roast: Balanced, full-bodied medium roast coffee with a smooth finish. It includes eighty single-serving pods that are compatible with Keurig brewing machines. Available at Amazon.
- Starbucks Medium Roast K-Cup Coffee Pods: Starbucks Pike Place Roast is well-rounded with subtle notes of cocoa and toasted nuts, balancing the smooth mouthfeel. It is a medium-roasted coffee: stable and balanced with rich, approachable flavors. Compatible with Keurig brewing machines. Available at Amazon.
- Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend Dark Roast: Incomparable world blend, rich, complex, and full-bodied. The coffee in Peet’s K-Cups for your Keurig Brewing System. Available at Amazon.
- Lavazza Perfetto Single-Serve Coffee: Blended and roasted in Italy for a dark and velvety espresso coffee. It can only be brewed using a Keurig brewing machine. Available at Amazon.
The Best Nespresso Capsules for your Coffee Maker
If you have decided to go for a Nespresso Coffee Maker, these are some of the best Nespresso capsules to use.
- Peet’s Coffee Espresso Capsules Variety Pack: Explore four dark, rich espresso blends: Nerissimo, Ristretto, Crema Scura, & Ricchezza. This sampler pack contains a 10-count carton of each of the single-cup coffee pod varieties. Available at Amazon.
- Lavazza Armonico Dark Roast Coffee Capsules: Velvety dark roast with full-bodied flavor and notes of toasted cereals and caramel. Blended and roasted in Italy. Available at Amazon.
- Starbucks by Nespresso: Contains a range of roast intensities from Starbucks Blonde roasts (intensity level 6) to dark roasts (intensity level 11). These espresso capsules brew from 0.85, 1.35, or 3.7 ounces. Available at Amazon.
- Nespresso Capsules Original Line: This Nespresso coffee assortment offers 30 Nespresso Pods in a variety of flavored coffees for the Nespresso Original Line System.10 Vanilio, 10 Ciocattino, 10 Caramelito. Available at Amazon.
The Best Filters your Drip Coffee Maker
If you’re looking for the best filters for your drip coffee maker, we’ve selected a few that are durable, resistant, and do not alter the flavor of your coffee.
- Melitta Cone Coffee Filters: 100% Chlorine Free filters. Microfine flavor enhancing perforations allow the full coffee flavor to filter through. Available at Amazon in different sizes.
- Hario V60 Paper Coffee Filters: Disposable paper filters for pour-over brewers, each filter is for single-time use. Available at Amazon in different sizes.
Where should your coffee maker go?
If you work from home and you have your own office that is part of your house, your coffee maker should stay in your kitchen: first of all, it will probably be the coffee maker the whole family will use, so it makes sense to leave it in the kitchen. Secondly, by leaving it in its natural habit, you will be forced to get out of your office, go to your desk and do some exercise to get a coffee.
If your office is separated from your house (e.g., in your garage, in a separate part of your home, etc.), then you may want to put your coffee maker close to your desk, in a safe space. It will probably be only used by you when working, so there’s no need to have ti placed in the kitchen. Unless, of course, you want to keep exercising to get your coffee needs fixed.
Want To Remember It? Pin It.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.